Visit a monkey in the tree of his life
He doesn't eat the fruit before it is ripe
When the sugar turns to alcohol
He shares his crop with one and all

The alcoholic tangerines are free
The alcoholic tangerines for you
The alcoholic tangerines for me

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Some Other More Recent Poems

Toward a More Tangible God

Anyone who seeks to test the powers of his imagination
Should try to make a constructive reading of the bible.
God, the ultimate reader response critic
Arranged the bible in such a way that only the most creative
Of readers could see the coherency of it.
Only that perfect audience could provide the mental mortar
That would hold those bricks in place.

In my own reading, I progressed all the way to the sixth chapter of Genesis
Where I read: “God repented that he made man.”
At this point, a critical reader may fairly question:
How does an all seeing, all knowing, infallible being
Come to the place where he admits his mistake?
And so close to the beginning of the book!

And how the implications of those words contradict
What we've been taught about God.
When God repented he not only admitted his error
But he admitted that his actions resulted in consequences
That he did not intend and could not foresee.
Also, his penitent state proves his willingness to end his error
And to repair the damage his wrong action perpetrated
But Noah found favor in the eyes of God.

So to recap, God,
Whose initial error was the creation of man,
Is now unwilling to destroy the evil which he has created.

This failure I can understand
Having created many bad poems myself

I cannot destroy them
Because I love them

There is something about them which is invaluable to me
Even though they are flawed horribly and entirely defective
Even though evil seems to be innate in them
I cannot destroy them
Because I love them.

No comments: