Visit a monkey in the tree of his life
He doesn't eat the fruit before it is ripe
When the sugar turns to alcohol
He shares his crop with one and all

The alcoholic tangerines are free
The alcoholic tangerines for you
The alcoholic tangerines for me

Monday, February 28, 2011

Blossoms

The flowers in your words
Are rhymed with pollen

Which gets all over me
As I read

It sticks in my hair
Infiltrates my clothing

I share it with those
Who rub up against me

Perhaps they will be pollinated
With your sentiments

Perhaps they will bring forth
Hybrid orchids of meaning

Connotative color swirls
With delicate petals

The nectar of verbal orchids
Attracts inquisitive hummingbirds

Who dip their bills
Into the raw juice of those minds

Rich fuel for their own mental flying

2 comments:

Peter Harter said...

Today I was discussing how men can write to a feminine audience using different language than they would use for a masculine audience. This is a poem that I feel has feminine language--It kind of bothers me really.

I guess the whole idea of the love poem is to approach the woman on her own terms. To demonstrate that you can relate to her. The author of a love poem implicitly acknowledges the woman's selectivity--which she is supposed to find flattering.

I feel that a male poet is forced into feminine language because of the prevalence of the feminine audience. He has to conform to her tastes and sensibilities regarding language.

Peter Harter said...

Today I overheard a conversation between three women that astonished me. Their conversation was so cold and emotionless--it immediately put me in mind of the Platonic account account of Spartan philosophy which is supposed to have been perpetuated by the women of Sparta and which was a secret tradition that Socrates considered himself lucky to be privy to.