Visit a monkey in the tree of his life
He doesn't eat the fruit before it is ripe
When the sugar turns to alcohol
He shares his crop with one and all

The alcoholic tangerines are free
The alcoholic tangerines for you
The alcoholic tangerines for me

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Firebird (part 2)

Ivan awoke still clutching a single feather of the firebird
His headache seared with the dawn sun
He quickly concealed the feather
Cloaking its luminescence

Prince Ivan entered the court of the king
Through large oaken doors
He stepped across the musty threshold
His footsteps echoing on mosaic tile
Filling the gigantic stillness of the corridor

As he approaches the dimly lit throne of the king
He bows before his father's presence saying
“Father, I bring strange news
And a gift for you.”

The prince brings forth the feather and holds it aloft
The king's courtiers fall back in astonishment
Beholding the breathtaking feather
Which shines as a white light at its source
Projecting color throughout the hall
Filling it as with stained glass radiance

The kings court sits in breathless astonishment
Charmed by circling lights and swirling patches
When Ivan again cloaks the feather
The room falls into smoky darkness
The king sits silently in the gloomy atmosphere
Until finally he softly speaks:

“Where hast thou this token of power and light?”
“Gotten from thine own courtyard, sire,” said the prince.
While tending my tree of silver apples
I saw a sublime bird woman approaching the tree
Her dazzling plumage disguises a fiercely
Intelligent countenance and strange power
She caused an apple to blight me on the head
She escaped leaving only one feather trapped in my hand

A smile slowly crept across the face of the king
He felt the throngs of desire begin to course in his veins:
“Since the death of your mother the queen
I have sought to replace the light that she once gave me
Finding none suitable I resigned to live out my days alone
But now I know the existence
Of a magical being who may again
Bring light and beauty to my kingdom

Who will go in search of this magical bird woman?”

A hush filled the hall until Piotr
The eldest son of the king
Addressed the court: “Sire, I will quest for the Firebird
I will select the best huntsmen from among my ranks
We will pursue the Firebird on horseback.”

Then Anton the next eldest also spoke:
“Sire, I will quest for the Firebird as well
I will take the best falconers of the kingdom
Pursuing the Firebird over air and land.”

“Yes! Yes!” roared the king.
“Take with you the fleetest hounds of Russia
And the most skillful trappers as well
But take no arrows with you
For I know that men in their zeal
Would kill the quarry before seeing her escape
I only value her alive
Know that the hunter who kills the Firebird
Will surely pay with his own life
But the man who captures the Firebird
And brings her to me will be lauded
With gifts of wealth and glory.”

Hight applause rings throughout the king's hall!
The men rush from the hall in preparation for the quest

No comments: